Queensferry Passage

Ferries that operated on the River Forth.


Welcome to QueensferryPassage.com  this site is a subsidiary of QueensferryPassage.co.uk which contains details of the ferries that operated on the Firth of Forth. The route was called the Queensferry Passage.

The ferries operated between North Queensferry and South Queensferry. The route going back as far as the 11th century in the times of Queen Margaret.

The ferries ceased to operate in 1964 with the opening of the Forth Road Bridge. However the site referred to above concentrates on the ferries which operated between 1934 and 1964. The ferries were making 40,000 trips a year and carrying 900,000 vehicles. The Forth Road Bridge which replaced the ferries had 4 Million crossings in its first year increasing to an annual figure of approximately 24 Million. Construction of a further bridge across the River Forth was subsequently required, construction started in 2011. Both the Forth Road Bridge and the new bridge called the Queensferry Crossing were officially opened by Queen Elizabeth II. The Queensferry Crossing was opened in 2017 exactly to the day 53 years after the Forth Road Bridge. The ferries that operated from 1934 to 1964 were the, Sir William Wallace, Robert The Bruce, Queen Margaret and the Mary Queen of Scots. Although ferries operated a long time before 1934 this website covers the period starting when on 29-01-1934 both the Robert The Bruce and the Queen Margaret were launched. They were launched at Leven shipyard on the River Clyde which was operated by Messer's Wm. Denny and Brothers, Dumbarton Scotland. These ships were Diesel - Electric, Paddle Boats of 217 tons gross. They were the first all welded ships to be built in Scotland. The double ended design incorporated a rudder at either end which helped maneuverability. These ships were technically advanced for their time and more details of the technical specifications can found in the main website. Many of the items on display in theat site were in the possession of the late Captain John Penny who was the Master of the Sir William Wallace. Capt. John Penny was employed on the ferries from 1946 and was a Master of the largest vessel in the fleet from 1956.

If you would like to contact me direct please use the email address shown below.

Photographs of the ferries are difficult to find but by searching the internet and obtaining the appropriate permissions a collection has been built up and can be viewed by clicking on the link to the site referred to above.
In addition to photographs there are many details of different aspects of the ferries including original documents and videos.


Further websites created by Dennis Penny:-

PennyPictures.co.uk - This site contains photographs taken by Dennis Penny the author of this website.
RAFPilotLogBook.co.uk - Based on a Pilots Logbook this site looks at the flying career of Robert "Bert" Penny from flying Tiger Moths to Meteor jets.
email QueensferryPassage.co.uk

Website designed and created by Dennis Penny
 Copyright © 2010